7 Tips for Acne Prevention
If you are worried about getting acne then no matter how clean and perfect you keep the surface of your skin, there is not really much you can do about hormonal changes beneath the surface. It is here that acne begins and no amount of cleanliness will “prevent” acne. However if you have your acne treated either via over the counter preparations or by your doctor then you may find that it clears or improves.
Sometimes it can clear up entirely by itself but however it happens, whatever route you went down in order to make it happen must be adhered to. Take your doctor’s advice with regards to when or if to stop medication or topical treatments, ask about light therapy which is different from a sun bed as this can help significantly with various skin conditions including acne. Ask your doctor about advice for the future. You may also be able to stop new acne breakouts yourself by washing your skin with gentle products and avoiding picking at the problem areas thus potentially spreading bacteria to healthy skin.
Acne Prevention Checklist
1. Over washing will only irritate the skin. Wash with a gentle cleanser and use only oil free moisturisers. Avoid heavy makeup and oily foundations.
2. Always remove makeup before sleeping to avoid clogging up your pores. Clean cosmetic brushes and sponges on a regular basis and also discard old out of date make up.
Avoid wearing tight clothing as this will only serve to irritate your skin by trapping in heat and moisture. Also tight fitting straps and even bags will rub against your skin and potentially cause it to be irritated.
3. Always remember to shower after exercising as excess sweat on the skin can attract bacteria.
4. Avoid touching your face with your hands or even with greasy hair as this could aggravate your skin and cause or exacerbate acne. Touching spots can also cause bacteria to be passed around. Never ever squeeze spots! This can be so very tempting but it only serves to exacerbate the problem altogether. Picking at spots increases the chance of bacteria spreading and could even cause permanent scarring of the skin.
5. Trying to reduce stress within your life is one very good way to avoid and prevent acne. Sleep well, exercise and follow a well balanced diet in order to give your body the best defence possible against acne.
6. Men with acne should always take special care to avoid catching their pimples on the razor blade while shaving.
7. It is a good idea to be as observant as possible and to take note if any particular food, cosmetic or drug seems to cause your acne to flare up. If you do notice anything untoward then avoid the catalyst.