Fun Snacks for Kids and Adults
Tired of the same old chips and popcorn when you want a fun snack, or are your kids begging for something sweet or otherwise unhealthy for their snack? When you want to eat healthy and encourage your kids to do the same, snacks can be an issue. They need to be quick and easy to manage, filling and yet low in calories and fat. Consider some fun snack ideas you might try with your kids or even for yourself when you need to grab something.
- Peanut butter and … everything. Be sure to get low-fat or reduced calorie peanut butter, and try it with sliced apples, celery, bananas, whole wheat crackers, or whatever else you think might be a good combination.
- Fruit and fruit salad. For kids, cut the fruit into small pieces they can easily manage. Grapes are good for kids since they’re already bite sized, and they may enjoy peeling their own oranges or tangerines. You might also skewer pieces of fruit the way you would a shish kabob, and let them pull off the individual pieces.
- Lunchmeat slices. Choose turkey, shaved ham, or chicken, or turkey-based meats such as turkey pastrami. Roll them up so children can grasp them easily.
- Hardboiled eggs. Cut them in half so children can eat them more readily.
- Small sandwiches. Choose reduced calorie, whole grain bread and make a half sandwich with a few slices of lunchmeat, lettuce, and a small bit of mayonnaise or mustard. If it’s small, it won’t give them too many extra calories.
- Low-fat cheese, cut into small cubes.
With a little imagination, you can find healthy snacks for your children and for yourself. It may mean a bit more work to prepare these snacks and have them handy, but it’s worth the effort since it means your health and your child’s health as well.