Getting an Au Pair for a Vacation
When the summer vacation rolls around parents start worrying about their kids. If both parents work who will take care of the kids and keep them occupied? This is an important consideration. One way to take care of this time of year is to bring in an au pair to help out.
The start of your search for the best vacation au pair is to find the best au pair agency. There are many such agencies but not all are reputable. It is important to know not all agencies are equal. Before you actually select an au pair you must be happy with the agency.
Make sure the agency fulfills all the necessary state requirements for running such a business. It is also essential to know all of the agency’s au pairs have the right training including first aid. It is the agency’s responsibility to do all the essential in-depth checks on their au pairs. Finally, you want to know the exact fee before signing up.
The best way to choose an agency is word-of-mouth. Ask other parents to recommend an agency they have personally used in the past. You want to use the services of an agency that is well established with a long history of happy parents and children. This is achieved by an agency’s expertise in matching the right au pair with the right family.
When you have decided on an agency, the next step is to select an au pair. Some considerations are:
- Choose more than one au pair to meet with.
- Carefully consider what kind of personality suits your children.
- Decide if you want a male or female.
- If you want your au pair to drive make sure he or she has a valid license.
- Decide on full day or half-day or live-in.
- You may want someone who can cook and do light household tasks.
- Decide if you want an au pair with a child care qualification and/or experience.
- You may want an au pair from a specific country to teach your child a language.
- Consider your budget.
The good news is you will have many au pairs to choose from. Many young people who have either finished high school or are college students come to the US to be au pairs. They want to earn some money while experiencing a different culture and perhaps improve their English.
Many families have benefited from the services of an au pair. More often than not, a summer vacation au pair becomes part of the family and returns next year. The kids are supervised, care for and occupied. Mum and dad can get on with work, careers or business without a hitch.